Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

I am sitting here trying to absorb just what Memorial Day means to me and I don't think I can grasp it completely, or at least put it into words.

I have known some wonderful people that have served our country, Granddaddy, Uncle Max, Uncle BB....these are just a few of them that are no longer with us, this list goes on and on as does the list of my friends and family members that are still serving. I wonder if we, as a nation, have lost sight of what today really means.  I see posts on FB "Today isn't just about BBQs, Thank you to all the military men and women" etc but, it makes me wonder if these were passing thoughts posted quickly while running out the door with a cooler in hand to the nearest party.  Do you actually sit down and reflect on today and its meaning?  Whether you agree with the wars of yesterday, today, or tomorrow, these men and women truly do deserve to be respected and honored, everyday........


I still have an immense amount of pride when I see my husband put on his uniform every day.  I love seeing his posture change when he puts on his Blues, it gives me chills.  I love when I see a group of fresh faces at the BX, their excitement is contagious.  I love that our local High School constructed a wonderful memorial on its lawn called "The Arlington Project".  We went to see Avengers today and afterwards, we stopped and walked around the memorial, it was amazing.  I got tears as we were leaving and said just a very simple "Thank you for what you do" to Michael before getting in the car.  After all, that's all I can do, say thank you as sincerely as I possibly can because I mean it with all my heart. 

If you have ever put on a military uniform or plan to one day, I thank you with all that I am. 


"I do not know the dignity of their birth, but I do know the glory of their death. They died unquestioning, uncomplaining, with faith in their hearts, and on their lips the hope that we would go on to victory. Always for them: Duty, Honor, Country. Always their blood, and sweat, and tears, as they saw the way and the light" ~ General Douglas MacArthur



Thanks,





from Heather

No comments: