Friday, May 11, 2012

Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Today is a special day for military spouses, the appreciation for what we sacrifice, the acknowledgement that our lives are meaningful,  it's our day to sit back and let the love fill us up.  While I appreciate the sentiments, everyday should be "Spouse Appreciation Day", not just military and not one specific day, just as Mother's Day and Father's Day should be a 365 day event, so should today.

I will, however, step on my soap box for just a moment.  I love my job as a military wife!  I love my husband!  I love the United States Air Force!  I love my country!   I love the opportunities the AF has given us.  I love the people I've met, the amazing places I've lived, and the education I have received.  I also realize my family has paid a price for the lives we lead.  My children do not know their extended families very well.  We miss birthdays, Christmases, anniversaries, funerals, and other momentous events but I wouldn't change it for anything.  One day, I will look back and evaluate my life and I don't think I will have any regrets. 

Military spouses are tough!  We are resilient!.  We are fighters!  We worry, we cry, we get scared, we get angry, but we get over it!  We wake up everyday with a determination to protect our children from the pain they face daily in the absence of a parent.  We are proud!  We don't ask why...we know why, it is a calling our husband/wife answered willingly. 

I am proud to be who I am, representing the quiet forces that stand behind our men and women in uniform.  I appreciate the shout out and a day to celebrate and receive a bit of praise but, I don't need it.  Today is just another day, just as yesterday and tomorrow but I am thankful. 

So, to mark today, I would like to let all my military wives/husbands know that I am thinking about you today, I know what you have sacrificed.  I know how you feel.  I love you!

Thanks,

From Heather

No comments: