Friday, March 30, 2012

Job Fair, Eyebrows, and Nolie

I saw the advertisement for the job fair a few weeks ago and decided it was something I should probably look in to.  Some of you know I was offered a job at a newspaper (as a freelance writer) what you may not know is that I turned it down.  I am pretty confident we will receive orders within the next few weeks so I don't want to find a local job and this job fair was geared for the military so, there were many national companies present.  Anyway, as I was getting ready this morning, I looked in the mirror and realized, "Damn, I need to pluck my eyebrows!"  I instantly thought of my best friend Nolie.  It is her fault, after all, that I do anything with them in the first place.  Exactly 10 years ago, right before my 30th birthday, she looked at me and with all the love she could muster told me I needed to do something with those "things"!  Reluctantly I allowed her to pluck and shape them for me, I had never felt so much pain in my life and by this point, I had given birth to 3 children, broken several bones as a result of being an athlete, and had my heart ripped out a few times by various boys but this, I actually freaking cried.  But they looked amazing.  You'd think I would have stopped this torturous behavior after we moved away from her and I was no longer under her eye (ha ha ha) but alas, I continued.  I have them waxed, I have them threaded (my honest to God favorite form of removal), and I pluck. I pluck because it is faster, I pluck because I don't have time to get to the salon to have them done, and I pluck because I am cheap but I do not pluck because I enjoy it....I do enjoy the end product but I never do a great job, I do OK but Nolie has always and will always do it better.  I think it's because she is a perfectionist but in spite of all that, I love her anyway.

Which brings me to this, knowing we will possibly be moving soon, I really hope it is to Arizona because I can get a job there (a few of the companies I spoke with today have offices there), it is pretty much warm year round, and I can finally get my eyebrows done for free and they will look amazing again, but most of all, because I can be near my friend again!

Thanks, from Heather

1 comment:

Misti said...

As much as it will suck to see you leave the fabulous Wa state, and our beautiful Ja-blam. I mean McChord; I will do a happy dance for you when your orders arrive. I hope they are for Arizona, and a place close to Nolie for the sake of your eyebrows, :)and the happiness Nolie brings you.