Saturday, March 31, 2012

Friends

One of the things I love about our life in the Air Force is the friends we've made along the way.  Michael has been in for almost 18 years and tonight, we had dinner with one of our "oldest" friends.  When we met at Misawa AB Japan, she was just a Lieutenant on active duty and today, she is a Major in the Reserves, and Michael had a line number for SSgt and now, he has a line number for SMSgt.  The neatest thing though, she has been the one to re-enlist Michael the last 2 times.  It is also really cool how our worlds have crossed paths and we realize how small the Air Force is. 

We have been to 4 bases, McConnell AFB, Kansas, Misawa AB, Japan, RAF Mildenhall, UK, and McChord AFB, WA.  I have been lucky to meet and keep in touch with people from each of these locations.  These people have become my family.  I have come to rely on them because they understand, much more so than my civilian friends and even my "blood" family.  I am sad that I am about to say bye to some more friends soon as they are moving on (Turkey, Hungary, England) but I won't cry, I am so excited for them.  They are about to embark on another adventure, a lifetime of memories, and an education for their children.  I am jealous!!!

I look forward to our next duty station, where ever that may be, and making new friends, having new experiences, and new adventures but, I will always remember those that have entered my life, each one taught me something and I am a better person for knowing them.

Thanks, from Heather

1 comment:

Misti said...

And, Thank you for all you have taught me about the military life since I have come to McChord. With this being my first base away from home; there are times I know that I would not have been as successful here if it hadn't been for you!