Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cooking

Y'all know I love to cook and I try new recipes all the time.  Today, I made a dessert (which is very rare) from scratch and I thought I'd share it.  It takes a while to make but is worth it, I do not know if you can substitute ingredients or not, it was great just the way it is. 

Stacked Apple Sauce Cake (wish I could remember where I got it so I could give the person/book credit)

3 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups unsweetened apple sauce
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
Cinnamon Whipped Cream (recipe follows)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly coat three 9 inch baking pans with baking spray and coat with flour. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  Set aside.
Beat butter on med-high for 1 minute, add sugar and beat until blended.  Add eggs and vanilla, beat 2 minutes.  Reduce speed, add applesauce and flour mixture alternating 1/3 cup at a time.  So, 1/3 cup applesauce, 1/3 cup flour mixing well in between.  End with dry ingredients...
Spread evenly in 3 pans.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes.  Remove and cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on cooling rack until room temperature.  Layer cake with cinnamon whipped cream.

Cinnamon Whipped Cream
2 cups very cold heavy cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix everything together until soft peaks form.



What I may do differently is:  I may make a cinnamon cream cheese frosting....I may make it like a banana nut bread.....But it was really good just the way the recipe is.....

Thanks, from Heather

1 comment:

Misti said...

Taking this with me to Cali, and gonna make it with my Mistie. She will love it, and she loves to bake. Thanks for sharing.